Sunday, May 5, 2013

Building partnerships with Local, Organic Farms!

About 5 years ago I subscribed to my first CSA box.  CSA is a program which brings you beautiful fresh produce right to your doorstep (or local pick up spot).

Little did I know how life changing it would be! Not only did I start receiving abundant, fresh, local organic produce of the highest nutritional quality, but I started to understand - and pay attention to what was in season.

Before I got my local boxes of goodness, I would go to the grocery store and try to be adventurous but always end up buying the same 5 or 6 items - lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, mushrooms... and I would never think twice about buying oranges in summer or grapes in winter.

Once you have received really juicy fresh seasonal produce for a few months or years you start to regard most of the produce in the supermarkets with suspicion - how long and far has this orange (from AFRICA!) travelled to reach me... how many carbon emissions has its delivery created... and how early was it picked to get it without going off... and how much nutritional quality could this poor orange possibly have left!?

Most of all though, you start to realize how BAD most of this produce tastes - and how AMAZING fresh local in season produce tastes with comparison.  IF YOU REALLY WANT TO EAT HEALTHY AND ADOPT LIFELONG HEALTHY EATING PRACTICES THE FIRST STEP IS TO START WITH THE MOST DELICIOUS, FRESH RAW INGREDIENTS!

Now I am a co-founder at Homemade and I am building partnerships with local (hopefully organic) farms to source our produce  I had the privilege to go down to Full Circle Farm in Sunnyvale yesterday to meet some of the people behind the beautiful farm.

I am so much look forward to creating and building these partnerships.  I feel so lucky and excited to be combining some of my personal values with some of my greatest joys with our business, Homemade!











No comments:

Post a Comment